wednesday 29th august - sunday 1st september


Surrey won by an innings and 125 runs at the Kia Oval


Surrey XI: Burns(c), Stoneman, Elgar, Patel, Foakes, Jacks, Clarke, T. Curran, Morkel, McKerr, Vidir.

At stumps on Day One left-hander Stoneman had faced 191 balls, with 12 fours, as Surrey reached 256 for 6, with Ben Foakes and Will Jacks, who both made 48, helping the England Test opener to fashion an impressive recovery from an initial slump to 36 for 3.

And Stoneman was only denied a day one century by an early finish for bad light. Tom Curran finished the day on 12 not out in his first championship appearance of the season.

Stoneman was joined in fourth and fifth wicket stands of 90 and 78 respectively by Foakes and Jacks, who was then replaced in Surrey’s team for the rest of the match by Ollie Pope – dropped from England’s fourth Test against India at the Ageas Bowl.

Foakes had played calmly and well, hitting eight fours despite conditions in which Nottinghamshire’s quicker bowlers found consistent seam and swing, and it was a surprise when he mishit his 74th ball – from left-arm paceman Luke Wood – to mid on.

Jacks went quickly into double figures by clubbing Wood through square cover for four and then pulling him for six and had hit six fours in all in a 87-ball stay when he was bowled middle stump off a thin inside edge as he pushed outside an off-cutter from Matt Milnes.

Stoneman fought hard to get through the new ball after early morning rain prevented a start being made until 12.15pm.

Having taken his championship run tally for the season to 961, Burns fell to the first ball of the ninth over, edging a full delivery from Luke Fletcher to keeper Tom Moores. Surrey captain Burns, however, still became the first batsman to top 1,000 first-class runs this season during his short stay at the crease.

Stoneman then saw both Dean Elgar and Ryan Patel depart cheaply, with Elgar being adjudged leg-before to Harry Gurney on 8 and Patel caught behind for 0 pushing defensively at a Wood away-swinger.

From there, though, Stoneman gritted his teeth and with more than a little help from the middle order ensured that Surrey gained a first innings total that keeps them in this game. Rikki Clarke, the other Surrey batsman to fall, was leg-before to Fletcher for 14.

Nottinghamshire did rally in the final session of day two, reaching stumps on 83 for 2 in their second innings, but they still trailed by 191.

Ben Slater and Kraigg Brathwate put on 41 for Notts’ first wicket second time around, before Conor McKerr had Slater caught behind for 21, and there was more resistance until off spinner Amar Virdi, introduced just before bad light brought a premature end to the day, seven overs early, had Jake Libby leg-before for 17. Brathwaite is 39 not out.

Curran had figures of 3 for 24 after an incisive new ball spell and there were also two wickets apiece for giant pacemen McKerr and Morne Morkel as Nottinghamshire’s batting fell apart first time around.

Tom Moores, with 29, was the top-scorer after Curran, making his first championship appearance of the season, sent back Slater (9), Brathwaite (2) and Libby (12) in quick succession, while Morkel had Samit Patel leg-before for 5.

Slater was caught behind, Brathwaite leg-before and Libby held at third slip, driving, and Notts were 39 for 5 when McKerr, replacing Morkel at the Vauxhall End, struck in his first over to have Billy Root caught at the wicket by Ben Foakes for 6.

McKerr then saw Riki Wessels (12) slice to point to make it 70 for 6, and just before tea Luke Wood was caught behind for 8 in Morkel’s second spell.

Moores had just extra cover driven McKerr for boundary when, two balls later, he aimed another big drive to a ball outside his off stump and edged to Foakes, who took his fifth catch of the innings when Luke Fletcher nicked a drive at the returning Curran. Two balls later, Harry Gurney’s stumps were shattered by Curran and Notts’ last three wickets had gone in seven balls.

Earlier Mark Stoneman’s 22nd first-class hundred helped Surrey to four batting bonus points as they made good progress from their overnight 256 for 6. Opener Stoneman, who resumed on 99 not out, soon reached three figures and was eventually ninth out for 144 having batted for more than seven hours and faced 260 balls, hitting 18 fours.

At the start of the day, Stoneman and Curran had taken their seventh wicket partnership to 84 in 22 overs before Curran, who hit some sparkling offside shots in a 69-ball 43 which included five fours, top-edged a hook at Matt Milnes to Root at long leg. The short ball also accounted for Morkel, who skied a pull at Gurney to Milnes at long leg to go for 5.

McKerr finished 19 not out and, immediately after hitting Patel’s left-arm spin for six over long on to reach 19, No 11 Virdi was bowled heaving at the next ball.

Former South Africa Test star Morkel had figures of 3 for 39 while 20-year-old McKerr, just as tall at 6ft 6in and just as hostile, took 4 for 26.

Nottinghamshire began day three on 83 for 2, after following on 274 runs behind, and the promise of their late resistance on the second evening – when opener Kraigg Brathwaite, in particular, stood firm after they had been skittled for 101 first time around in reply to Surrey’s 375 – proved merely a pause in the overwhelming superiority of Rory Burns’s team in this game.

Brathwaite and Samit Patel took the total to 109 with a number of early boundaries, although some of them were decidedly streaky – such as the carve high over third slip and then the thick edge through the gap between the slips and gully which helped West indies Test batsman Brathwaite to go to his half-century.

Patel, however, was then pinned leg-before for 15 by a Morkel off-cutter and, next ball, left-hander Billy Root edged a ball angled across him to keeper Ben Foakes. The hat-trick ball, a wicked leg-cutter, missed the edge of Riki Wessels’s defensive bat by a whisker as it climbed sharply into Foakes’ gloves.

From 109 for 4 the innings fell away quickly. McKerr, replacing Morkel at the Vauxhall End, soon had Wessels caught at the wicket for a duck with a sharp delivery that shaped away and Brathwaite’s resilience was tested by a nasty blow on the helmet when he ducked into a short one from McKerr – requiring a ten-minute delay while he underwent concussion protocols – before, on 60, he gave Foakes another catch as he drove optimistically at the same bowler.

Luke Wood threw down his bat in pain after being hit on the hand by a Rikki Clarke lifter – again, there was delay while Wood received on-field treatment – and the left-hander did not last long afterwards before flashing to Ollie Pope in the gully off Morkel. Pope dived to his right to bring off a fine catch.

A comic mix-up with his partner, Tom Moores, led to Luke Fletcher being run out for 1, to leave Notts 135 for 8. The bowler, Morkel, broke the stumps, with Fletcher stranded near the other end and already walking off.

Moores fell in the second over after lunch, edging Curran low to Foakes, who dived to pull off an excellent catch inches from the turf, and last man Harry Gurney soon gave McKerr his fourth wicket of the innings – and seventh of the match – when he skied to Amar Virdi at mid on to depart for 1.


Mark Stoneman
The opener scores 144 against Nottinghamshire at the Kia Oval, almost carrying his bat before falling for Surrey’s ninth wicket.


Watch the highlights of every day of Surrey v Nottinghamshire below.