The result ended in a draw at Old Trafford


Surrey XI: Burns(c), Stoneman, Borthwick, Elgar, Foakes, Pope, S. Curran, Patel, Dernbach, Dunn, Virdi.

Dernbach, Amar Virdi and Sam Curran toiled hard throughout Day Two against Lancashire but couldn’t stop Jordan Clark (78), Shivnarine Chanderpaul (65) and Steven Croft (62) all passing fifty.

With the first day having been lost to rain, Surrey unsurprisingly opted to bowl on a bright, high-clouded morning and their decision was quickly vindicated when the home side lost three wickets for eight runs in the space of 15 balls inside 45 minutes of the session.

Haseeb Hameed was the first to go when he pushed forward defensively to Dernbach in the seventh over but only edged a catch to Dean Elgar at first slip for the bowler’s 250th first-class wicket for Surrey.

The departure of the England opener for four was followed exactly two overs later by that of Alex Davies for the same score, Lancashire’s No3 driving Dernbach to shortish mid-on where Matt Dunn dived to his left to take a fine catch.

Two balls later Keaton Jennings was leg before to Sam Curran to leave the home side on 23 for three after 9.2 overs but Livingstone and Chanderpaul eased the pressure with a couple of boundaries.

Despite the loss of both Livingstone and Dane Vilas, Lancashire’s fortunes improved steadily in the afternoon.

Yet the session would have been altogether better for the home side had Chanderpaul not come down the pitch to 19-year-old off-spinner Virdi on the stroke of tea and skied a catch to Scott Borthwick at mid-off, thus ending his 216-minute, 149-ball vigil.

Nevertheless, a tea score of 206 for six represented a considerable recovery for the Red Rose, who had lost two wickets in the hour after lunch. Dernbach had Livingstone leg before for 48 and Vilas was brilliantly caught one-handed at second slip by a diving Borthwick off Sam Curran for 13.

In the evening session the Croft reached his half-century off 81 balls but was caught at the wicket when sweeping Virdi, Ben Foakes moving across incredibly quickly to the leg side to take the catch.

Lancashire’s recovery was sustained by Clark who hit seven fours in his first fifty runs.

However, just when home supporters might have been thinking of Clark’s century, Ollie Pope dived at square leg to take a brilliant catch off a full-blooded slog sweep. Virdi was once again the joyous bowler.

Joe Mennie was undefeated on 35 at the close and Tom Bailey was 15 not out. Bailey went on to get 66, before Lancashire declared on 439/9 with Graham Onions the man not to bat.

Surrey, chasing a mammoth total, were unable to get off to a good start losing the wicket of Stoneman earlier to his former team-mate Onions with just two runs on the board.

Burns and Borthwick then dug in to put on a 98-run partnership, but the former was caught behind by Davies off a good ball from Bailey for 28.

Elgar was the next man to put in a gutsy performance alongside Borthwick, but the pair were only able to add a further 31 runs before the former Durham-man, fell for 21 runs short of a century after over three hours at the crease.

Foakes then joined Elgar, but then batsman fell for 34 and the remaining batsman were only able to put on a further 29 runs by the end of the day.

Starting Day 4 on 231-9, still 59 adrift of the follow-on target, Surrey added just four to their total before Graham Onions removed Amar Virdi with the 16th ball of the morning.

The visitors were, as expected, asked to bat again but opening pair Rory Burns and Mark Stoneman saw their side through to lunch without losing a wicket, sharing a half-century stand to make it 53-0 at the interval.

That would still be the total five overs later but Lancashire claimed two Surrey wickets as Stoneman and Scott Borthwick both fell victim to Tom Bailey.

Burns had to battle hard to make 33 but he was the next man to go, Lancashire skipper Liam Livingstone finding some bounce and the ball looped off the shoulder of the bat to Keaton Jennings at slip.

Dean Elgar then edged Jordan Clark to Dane Vilas behind the stumps, as Surrey headed to the interval 103-4, still trailing Lancashire by 101 runs.

The biggest opportunity for the hosts came and went in the sixth over after the resumption when Ollie Pope edged Onions behind to Vilas, who put down a chance with Pope on 12 and Surrey 114-4.

Pope and Ben Foakes shared a half-century stand for the fifth wicket, brought up in the 71st over of the innings.

Foakes reached his personal half-century, coming from 102 balls, as the wicket keeper produced a string of superb shots all around the wicket.

Hope appeared to be fading for Lancashire but they brought themselves back in with a chance as Bailey took two wickets with the new ball, dismissing Foakes for 57 and then Pope for 41. Surrey were 177-6, trailing by 27 with eight overs remaining.

But Sam Curran and Ryan Patel saw Surrey to the close on 199-6, five behind Lancashire, as the game ended in a draw. Bailey finished with impressive figures of 4-13 from his 18 overs.

Surrey took away eight points in only their second game of the season to follow up victory over Hampshire at the Kia Oval.


Scott Bortwick
The Surrey batsman scored 79 in Surrey’s first innings, building a 98-run partnership with Captain Rory Burns.


Watch the highlights of every day of Lancashire v Surrey below.